Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sacrifice



This was a photo I took a few days back when I discovered the one quiet place I could be in the metro. True, I love Intramuros, but one hardly ever gets isolated from city life in THE tourism destination of Manila. This photo was taken at the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial along the periphery of Fort Bonifacio in Makati City. I love it there because hardly anyone comes to visit the fallen heroes of our battles past. It is unfortunate I know, that no one seems to remember their valor but for purely selfish reasons, I love having the cemetery all to myself. It affords me some time away from the bustle of my everyday life. And on the day I took this photo, I was thinking of sacrifices. Not just of those made by the valiant soldiers for love of country and freedom, but also of personal sacrifices we all make, be it for growth or otherwise.

Some sacrifices are such a burden, some are worth the pain and tears. There are days when I question the necessity of some I have made, both voluntarily and with hands tied behind my back. Some are more of mistakes than necessary suffering but all in all, I am still hopeful that in the end, they make me wiser and open my eyes just a tad bit wider to the realities of my world. What have you sacrificed lately?

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful quote at the bottom and excellent photo. It's a difficult position to question the senselessness of war while honoring the memory of the soldier who died fighting for something they believe in. I've lost a friend in Iraq and have family that fought in WWII and I often find myself in the same position. Their sacrifice often puts my own life in perspective. I'm glad you have such a peaceful spot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails