Thursday, July 1, 2010

Reflecting History




One of my favorite places in manila is Fort Santiago. the prolific writer, Jose Rizal was incarcerated within its walls when he was accused of treason and ultimately executed for it. today, the place is a must see for all Manila visitors. inside the cell that held Rizal is a beautiful inscription from one of his letters to his relatives and friends. i still get goosebumps every time i see it:

A man ought to die for his duty and his convictions. I hold to all the ideas which I have published concerning the state and future of my country, and I shall die willingly for her, and even more willingly for to procure justice and tranquility for you all.
Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

2 comments:

  1. Not even sure how I got on this page, just surfing the net.
    I wanted to say how touched I was by your comments on the American Cemetery and the heroic sacrifices that were made by those consecrated there.
    You definitely present a different and beautiful side of Manila, that I never knew existed.
    I have never even though of visiting there but now I would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails